Sunday, February 8, 2015

Clark's Baptism

I've look forward to this special day since the day he was born. The year leading up to Clark's baptism, Brett and I had many Family Home Evening lessons, one on one discussions and walks around the temple in preparation for this big day. 

About two weeks before he was to be baptized, Clark had an interview with our bishop,  Bishop Russell King. Before he went in, we told him the bishop will interview him to see if he was ready to be baptized.   About five minutes later, Clark comes bouncing out of the office exclaiming, "The bishop said I could be baptized!" and threw his arms joyfully around me.  The few ward members that were standing in the hall cheered for him.  I tearfully hugged him back, so happy that he was so excited to be baptized. 

My dear friend and visiting teacher, Linda Herbert came up to me the day of his baptism at church and told me how excited she was for Clark.  She told me to enjoy every minute of his baptism, strive to really feel the Spirit because there is nothing like watching your child, especially your first child be baptized.

The Sunday that Clark was to be baptized, was a fast Sunday.  Clark went up to bear his testimony and share how excited he was to be baptized that day. 

Clark's baptism wasn't until later in the evening.  All afternoon, Daisy kept asking when it was time for Clark's baptism.  When we announced to the family that it was time to go to the church, Daisy was the first one in the car.  As we were driving, Daisy said, "My heart is so happy.  I love this feeling that I feel.  I just can't wait for Clark to be baptized!"

He was baptized on February 1st, 2015 6:30pm.  It was the same day as the Super Bowl but the room was PACKED!  People kept coming in and we had to put up more chairs to accommodate the growing crowd.  I had been fasting several Sundays that this would be a special day and that the Spirit would be there.  I had invited two of our non-member friends to come.  Our next door neighbors and another family down the street.  Neither of them could come unfortunately even though they really wanted to. 

We took a few family pictures of Clark and Brett in their white clothes before the program started.  How special it was to see my pure in heart little boy (because he will always be my little boy) all dressed in white and ready to make an important and sacred covenant with Heavenly Father.

The program started and singing the words to the opening song, "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized", I started to tear up.  How grateful I am to have a perfect example, Jesus Christ to show us the way back to our Heavenly Father through baptism. 

Clark had originally asked his cousin, Bryson to say one of the prayers but when I asked Ondalynn to confirm that Bryson was still planning on saying the prayer a few days before the baptism date, she said he was too nervous to do it.  When I asked Clark who else he would like to say the prayer, he said, "You mom!".  I am glad I am his second choice.  :) I am just happy I could take part of the program. 

My dad gave a beautiful talk on baptism.  He spoke on how the covenant of baptism binds us to our Heavenly Father. My dad spoke directly to Clark when he shared his testimony of Jesus Christ and the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and told Clark to never forget that he has a testimony of those things.  He talked about how Clark is a sweet and tender hearted boy.  He shared an example of how Clark exemplifies this.  At my sister, Julia's wedding reception, my mom said out loud, that there is an extra flower and asked who should get it  Clark heard my mom and asked if he could have it.  As soon as he said that, then all of a sudden all of his cousins wanted it as well including Daisy.  My mom not knowing which grandchild to give it to, gave it to Clark because he asked first.  When my mom gave the flower to Clark, he immediately turned to Daisy and gave it to her because he knew how much she wanted it.  That is how Clark is.  He loves to make others happy even if that means giving up something he wanted.

After my dad spoke, it was time for the baptism.  There were many children that came up to the font to watch.  Brett had to baptized Clark twice because the first time his toe came out of the water.  I was fine with it because I got to see it two times! :) I can't tell you how wonderful it is to watch your husband lead your son into the waters of baptism and baptize him.  The Spirit was so strong during that time.  I wish I was eloquent with my words to describe the feeling.  My heart was so full of joy that it could burst! I do want to mention that the two witnesses were his uncles, Gary and Kyle. 

While Brett and Clark were changing their clothes, Ondalynn played the piano while Sydney played the violin.  They played songs from the Primary book as well as Hymns.  It was beautiful!  While they were playing, I had people write their testimonies or thoughts on cards they wanted to share with Clark.

After Clark and Brett came back, Trent and Stephanie sang and Diane accompany them on one of Clark's favorite Primary songs, "I Know My Savior Loves Me".  They always sing so well ogether. It was beautiful and perfect in every way.  It added to the Spirit that was there. I watched Clark as they sang, and Clark just beamed! He radiated and I couldn't but help but cry.  I feel so honored to be this sweet boy's mother.  I hope I can teach and raise him up well and help him be the kind of man God wants him to be. 

Dave (Brett's Dad) spoke on the Holy Ghost.  He spoke on how special it is to have the Holy Ghost in your life.  He said, because of the Holy Ghost he as a testimony of Jesus Christ.  Because of the Holy Ghost he has a testimony of The Book of Mormon.  He too asked Clark to never forget that he as his grandpa has a testimony of these things because of the Holy Ghost.

Next, was the confirmation.  Brett asked all family members to join in the priesthood circle.  The priesthood circle included, Bishop King, my dad, Brett's dad, Uncle Gary, Uncle Kyle and Uncle Trent.  My mom was so kind to write down a few notes of what was said in the confirmation prayer.
From what was said in the prayer, Clark has a great mission ahead of him of being a good example to others and sharing the gospel.

The bishop welcomed Clark as the newest member of the ward.  He told everyone the story that I shared earlier in this post.  The bishop said he will never forget that moment.  We closed with a song, "I Am a Child of God" and my mom said the closing prayer. 

Clark's baptism was the PERFECT baptism!  Everything went so well.  The talks, the music, just everything went so well.  I couldn't ask for a better baptism. Sister Jennell Atkinson gave Clark a nice card with eight $1 bills.  The primary president, Nana Matu had taught Clark previously in the past and gave him a really nice CTR ring.  The Vance family gave a signed card from everyone with a bookmark and red scripture pencils.  My parents gave Clark a CTR tie pin as well. 

Later that night as I was snuggling up to Clark, I asked him what he thought about his baptism and he said, "I felt so happy!".  Life is GREAT!

(((((PICTURES TO COME, SO COME BACK LATER TO SEE THEM. )))




 








( I wasn't able to get pictures of the Caudle Family there at the baptism, so we took them at another time.)

2 comments:

Julia said...

Oh that's such a sweet post! Made me tear up too thinking how happy he was to get baptized. Clark is a sweet boy! Wish we could have been there.

Meredith Williams said...

What a perfect day!! Makes me excited for Evelyn to be baptized! You have such sweet kids, Viv!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...