I have started reading the kids chapter books before they go to bed. They have enjoyed it so much that we finished one short chapter book in a week. My goal was to read one chapter a night but they wanted to find out what happened next so we end up reading two or three more chapters. One night I had read multiple chapters and it was way past their bed time. I told them that we would read more tomorrow night. Clark couldn't wait that long so he took the book with him to bed just to so he can read what happens next. This reminded me so much of when I was younger and couldn't put down such fascinating and adventurous books. I hope I can instill a love of books to my children. What are your favorite chapter children books?
I am so grateful for the conversation opportunities that Heavenly Father gives Brett and me to teach our children more about our Savior Jesus Christ. While driving to a family member's baby blessing, Clark asked why did Jesus had to die for us. Both Brett and I were able to explain and bear our testimony to them of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was a sweet moment where the kids were intently listening and asking questions. Why can't FHE be more like that? It seems like the real teaching happens when we least expect and plan it.
Another sweet experience I want to share is about Daisy. This happened a while ago but I still want to share it. Daisy often gets scared at night. One particular night, Brett went in the kids' room to check on them after they had gone to bed. That night Daisy was upset and crying because she was scared. He asked her if he could give her a blessing. Then in their dark room, Brett gave her a blessing of comfort and peace. Afterwards, Daisy said she felt happy and "light" inside. Brett explained to her that the "light" she was feeling was the Holy Ghost. Several months later, after the kids had gone to bed, Daisy came downstairs where Brett was working on the computer because again she was sacred and asked him to give her blessing so she could feel "light" again inside. I am grateful for a worthy priesthood holder who is able to use his priesthood to bless our family.


4 comments:
Your kids are so sweet! Those stories are priceless:)
That story is so adorable! You guys are such awesome parents! I love that Brett took that time to give her a priesthood blessing. I think I would have overlooked that opportunity. That's awesome!
What beautiful stories. Yes, those teaching moments seem to rarely come when they are "planned." But so good of you and Brett to take advantage of them when they come! What book were you reading? Sounds like we need to read that one. Our kids have loved all kind of books. I always figure whatever I liked as a kid, they probably would, too. Yes, you have some readers on your hands! Yay!
I loved reading this post. You and Brett are such great parents. They will always remember you reading to them at night.
What a precious story about Daisy feeling the "light" of the Holy Ghost comforting her. Thank you for sharing the story about Clark asking why Jesus had to die for us. Teaching moments are priceless.
Post a Comment