It was then that I started to keep track of every little contraction. Early evening I was having regular contractions but nothing I couldn't handle. I made dinner, did some cleaning and my normal routine even though the contractions were coming closer and getting stronger. By 11:00pm that evening they were coming every other minute and lasting a minute and were becoming very uncomfortable. I thought for sure I was dilated to around a 6. Brett called his parents and they quickly came over to take the kids home with them so we could head to the hospital. I was planning on having an epidural as soon as we got there.
We got to the hospital around 11:20pm. They checked me and I was only at a 3. I was so disappointed and discouraged. They didn't want to admit me quite yet since I wasn't very far at all so they hooked up the baby monitor and watched me for what seemed like forever. The contractions were becoming very strong and coming faster and faster. I begged for an epidural. They could tell I was in a lot of pain and decided to admit me. The admitting process was so slow and putting the IV in me took the nurses 4 tries. The anesthesiologist had to the put the IV in me. Then she talked me through the pros and cons of the epidural. As she was preparing I had this huge urge to start pushing. I yelled to the nurses I have to push. They checked me again and I was fully dilated and at a 10! My doctor was notified to come for the delivery, but it seemed like she wasn't going to make it in time. The nurse reassured me that she has delivered many babies before. When I heard how far I was I begged for them not to let me go natural. The pain was unbearable. My body was going through shock. I was shaking and crying uncontrollably and felt very nauseous. I hadn't prepared myself to go natural and didn't even practice breathing. The nurses were amazing. They held my hand and told me over and over again that I could do it. The anesthesiologist was able to give me a quick small dose of an epidural to take the edge off the pain which helped a little. I remember the nurses kept on telling me to breath for your baby and that helped calm me down and start to breath more calmly.
Luckily for the nurses, my water hadn't broken and was still intact. The bulging bag was sticking out. Within a few minutes, Dr. Carter arrived and within three pushes Kaeley was born in the amniotic sac at 1:10am on September 22nd. None of the nurses had ever seen a baby born in the sac before and were in awe. After removing the sac they put her in my arms and I cried and cried. I was so happy to have the pain instantly gone but mostly to have my sweet new angel in my arms. Everything went so fast that I couldn't believe I had my baby in my arms already.
Reflecting back on the whole birthing experience I can see how the Lord helped me during some of the most painful times. I was reminded of the blessing Brett gave me a few weeks ago that I would be comforted during pain. I am so grateful to have the Lord help me during that experience. I felt like I took the tiniest glimpse of what the Atonement may have been like. He went through so much pain and suffering for me so I can live.
![]() |
| A day old |
| Clark and Daisy came to visit at the hospital. They had to wear masks because they had a slight cough. They didn't mind. They thought they were doctors. |
| A few hours old |
![]() |
| Ready to go home. Can you find the baby in the HUGE car seat? |


2 comments:
Surely glad you took the time to record this wonderful event, despite all the suffering.
Such darling pictures of Clark and Daisy with their new baby sister!
Congratulations! That is an amazing birth story. I really believe that Heavenly Father gave us childbirth with all its pain and ecstacy for our benefit. The experience can teach us some amazing lessons about the Atonement. It sounds like you were a great student. Way to go! You did great work. Your little one is beautiful.
Post a Comment