I know I haven't finished our family trip to Utah but I felt I needed to write this first. Two weeks ago today (August 8th) my dear Grandpa (Grant Gill Smith) passed away early in the morning.
I didn't get the word of his passing until after church. He had been suffering from terminal liver disease for three years so I knew the end was coming soon. Even though I miss him dearly, I know he is in a happy place with his wife my grandma, and his parents and so many other friends and family. The day after his passing I went to the Rose Gardens where we go almost every time my grandpa would come visit.
He loved roses and taught me to stop and smell the roses. I am glad I was able to take my kids with me and have them smell the roses too. He taught me to admire God's creation and the beauties all around us.
My grandpa taught me many things. He taught me to be a hard worker and when you do something do it right the first time. In his home, he has a Christmas nutcracker and the nutcracker is in a walking position because reminds my grandpa not to be idle and always working.
My grandpa taught me to be physically active. My grandpa loves skiing and skied until he was mid 80's. He taught all his grand kids to ski, play racquetball ball, tennis, golf, checkers, chess and ping pong. He told all his grand kids he would give anyone a $100 if they could beat him in skiing, racquetball ball, chess and checkers. Many tried but no one could do it. :)
My grandpa had a great sense of humor. He loved telling jokes. It usually took me awhile to get the pun but once I did we both laughed hard. I love the twinkle in his eye as he told his jokes.
My grandpa is a very smart man. He won national and world renown awards for his studies in chemistry of sorts. He was a chemist and taught at universities. I remember he came to my third grade class to teach my class about water.
My grandpa has a love for his ancestors and genealogy. He taught of the great heritage I have and to honor them by living my life righteously. I wish I paid more attention to the stories so I can tell them to my children. I guess I will have to go back and read the book he published on them.
A month before my grandpa passed away he sent a check because he was really concerned for me. Ever since he learned of my NF he has been extra concern for my health and well being. I was so touched by his generosity. Here he was, very sick and unable to get out of bed but he wanted to make sure I was okay. I wish I was able to visit him when I was in Utah the month before he passed away but Clark and Brett were very sick and didn't want to get him even more sick.
I love my grandpa so much. He is kind, thoughtful and faithful. I love how he always made sure to bear his testimony of God and testimony of the scriptures to me. I will miss him but so happy that I will see him again because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I am honor to be his grand daughter and hope to always live up to honor the Smith name. I love you Grandpa!!
2 comments:
Thanks for this special post! It makes me think of my grandparents and how much I love them too--those who have passed, and those who are still here. You are great, Viv. I'm sorry about your grandpa--he seems so neat. Thanks for sharing a little about him.
What a sweet tribute Viv!!
Post a Comment