Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Clark's Language Development

Clark has been tested and found he is delayed in his speech and language. The specialist believe it has nothing to do with Brett speaking fluently in Spanish to Clark, they even encourage it. Clark is now seeing a Speech Pathologist every two weeks. Her name is Linda and she is great at what she does. I am very impressed. I have seen improvement over the last month she has been working with Clark. She is helping him work on saying two words at a time since he doesn't do that. At first it was the same word twice (ex: tweet, tweet or moo, moo) and then two words (ex: oh no, or oh boy). Clark drools a lot so she has given him some tools to help his jaw muscles. Linda gave Clark a whistle and a pinwheel to practice blowing correctly. As well as a chewing toy ( I am not sure the correct name of it) to help stimulate the back mouth muscles.
I am learning that Clark is a visual learning. It wasn't until Linda started to use visual objects to teach Clark that he was able to say the two words

Clark tries really hard and I can tell he gets frustrated when he can't do it on the first try. It almost brings me to tears because I know exactly how he feels. I remember so many times when I was younger and I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't say it the correct way. I love my little boy Clark. He brings so much happiness to me!

3 comments:

Alice-Anne said...

So glad you've had success with a speech pathologist. I'm sorry that's been such a challenge for him! How frustrating. In the book, "bright from the start.." they also say that any language spoken--as long as it is spoken fluently--is great "practice" for a young brain (so yeah, hearing Spanish and English is good!:) we hope for the best for little Clark!

Meredith Williams said...

I'm glad to hear about the progress he is having. Keep it up Clark!! love ya guys

Crismon and Vivienne Lewis said...

So good to read your updates. Clark is a special little guy. We're glad he can get this extra special help. He will conquer this. He has such good parents to help him.
Love, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...