Sunday, October 25, 2015

Portland To Coast 2015

Last year, I did a 10k and the year before that I did a half marathon.  I was thinking of signing up for the same race, the Canby Run, like the last two years but every time I go to sign up I never end up doing it. I always feel like I shouldn't which made me sad because I really enjoyed the races and even the training part...(well....sometimes the training part).  In late May, I learned why I felt impressed to not sign up for the Canby Run.  My friend and CEO of Fit2b messaged me and asked if I wanted to join her walking team, Toe Jammin' on the Portland to Coast Race.  I was ecstatic that she would ask me. I of course said yes and immediately starting training.  She said I needed to walk 12:30 minute mile or faster.  They are a competitive team so I had the pressure to be really fast.                





Fit2B and Reliv sponsored our team, Toe Jammin'

The training and the actually race was challenging but I enjoyed racewalking, hangout out with incredible people...and time away from the stresses of everyday life for awhile. Race walking is something I haven't done before so it was quiet the learning experience.  The team was awesome and very welcoming!  Prior to the race, I had met all except two team members. We have trained together a few times.

August 28-29th was the race.  The night before the race, we met at Olive Garden to carb up and decorate our race van.  There I got to meet two of the other team members.  One who has been on the team for awhile and another who joined a few days ago because one of the team members couldn't do it at the last minute.  Fit2B and Reliv sponsored our team.  Go Fit2B and Reliv!
My Race Bib
Eating out at Olive Garden
After dinner, I rushed home to finish packing.  I knew I would have a hard time falling asleep because of nerves so I took melatonin so I could at least sleep some before a long two days. We meet bright and early at 4:30am! Brett got Friday off so he could stay home with the kids while I was gone.

After everyone arrived at our meeting place and packed the van, we left to drive to the starting line.  There was quiet the excitement at the starting line. They were letting about 20 or so teams go every 15 minutes.  Our start time was 6:30am.  Teressa was our starting person.  She got a good lead and even passed walkers from previous starting times.  After we saw her off, we got back into the car and drove a head to meet her half way on her leg to continue to cheer her on after cheering her on, we drove to the exchange where our next walker prepared to start the next leg in the race.  We continued to keep the pattern of seeing off the walker, driving a little ways to cheer that walker and give them water or anything else they may need to finish the leg.
The Starting Line
Teressa leading the way!

Beth preparing for her first leg
Amy handing off the baton to Beth.

About 1pm it was finally my turn to start my first leg.  I was really nervous.  My first leg was unsupported meaning that the vans couldn't drive on the walking courses where the walkers were. At this time of the day, it was quiet warm and the course had lots of hills.  When I finally could see the exchange ahead, I almost started to cry because I felt like I couldn't push much more and I was relieved that my first leg was almost over.  I remember being only a few yards away from my team member and coach, Carmen and feeling like I was going to fall.  I felt like my legs were going to give up on me.  Luckily they didn't and I was able to give the baton off to her and she zoomed away.

Finishing my first leg.  My Coach Carmen cheering for me!
Carmen, Laura, and Amy at one of the exchanges.
Everyone was such a great support to each other on their legs.  The first picture is of Beth giving water to Carmen and the next one is of Beth giving me encouragement on my first leg.  Beth is pretty amazing!
Laura and her loaded baked potato! Most exchanges had food booths and this is one of the foods that were sold.

I didn't have to walk again until about 9pm that evening so I had lots of time to recover but for some reason, I felt really sick which made the recovery time more difficult.  My team members said I looked quiet pale.  I believe I was dehydrated even though I drake water throughout my leg.  By 9pm, I felt much better and ready to do it all over again.  About this time, it was dark and I had to put on my reflecting vest, blinkers, and my head lamp.  Thankful it was much cooler but the darkness made it a little difficult to walk in.  The road was slanted and curved a lot.  I had to almost walk in the middle of the road to find more even ground.  I wasn't really able to sleep much in the car.  Someone was always coming in or out of the van. About 4am, it was my turn to walk my final leg. By this time, wind and rain had started.  At times I felt like I was pushing a shopping cart full of rocks up a steep hill. I felt like this leg was never going to end.  Hills after hills. Wind and more wind and rain coming down in all sorts of directions.  I honestly asked myself, "why did I sign up for this" and told myself, "I am never doing this again!".  When I made it to the exchange, I almost clasped in my team's arms.  I fell to the side. I almost started crying...again.  I was so happy that I had finished all of my legs! By this time, the weather started to get worse. At the last exchange before the finish line, the wind was so bad that the porta-potty's fell over!  Luckily no one was in them.  Big tree limbs were falling off trees and the wind was so hard that it even pushed our moving van a bit.  It was quiet scary!
Yikes! The wind was strong!
Beth added humor to the trip!
After seeing our last team member start the last leg of the race we drove to the finish line. We cheered for other teams as they finished.
Laura about to start the last leg of the race! What a trooper to go out walking in that kind of weather!
The finish line was supposed to be on the beach but because of the wind and the rain, it blew everything away and really wasn't safe.  They had to move the finish line to a spot in town.   It was so thrilling to see our last team member, Laura approach the finish line.  We joined her for the last few yards and crossed the finish line together as a team!  It was an awesome experience!! We took a few pictures and then left. No one wanted to be in that weather anymore. I was kinda bummed that there was no after the race party on the beach.  They gave out medals but canceled the award ceremonies because of the terrible weather.  We went to breakfast and had to wait awhile because everyone else was there eating breakfast too.
Amy and Beth being silly at the finish line while we wait for Laura.

Toe Jammin' Team! Back Row Left-Right:Beth, Amy, Maryah (our awesome drive), Me. Front:Carmen, Laura, Luci, Robin,
It didn't take long for me to fall asleep on the way home. As you can imagine, I was really tired. Beth gave us all Epsom Salt to put in our bath water to help relieve our sore muscles.  For about 4 to 5 days after the race, I had to take a nap as soon as the kids left for school.  Kaeley was content laying next to me watching all the Netflix her heart desire!

The race was quiet the experience! I can now check off that I did the Portland to Coast Race off my bucket list!  I loved my team.  We started the race with a prayer and ended it with a prayer.  Since I was just a subbed they said that they can't guarantee a spot on the team for next year.  I told them I was okay with that and I enjoyed the experience.  But then I got a text from the coach not too long ago asking if I wanted to be an official member of the team.  I was ecstatic! So now, I am getting ready for next year.  Now that I know what the race is like, I can better train for it.

The race was hard but I learned what the body can do and how much pressure it can stand.  I don't think I ever pushed my body to such physical strain as this race. I am excited for next year!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...