Friday, December 10, 2010

Clark's MRI

In the beginning of November Clark had his first MRI. Our ophthalmologist, Dr. Holland strongly suggested to get a MRI since he has NF. I scheduled it at 6:30 in the morning since Clark had to fast for 8 hours and I thought this would be easiest way for him to fast. I hardly slept that night because I was so nervous. I was nervous of how Clark will handle me not being there while he goes through the procedure even though they will put him to sleep for it. I remember how scared I was when I first had my MRI and didn't know what to expect and didn't have my mother there. I was nervous of the test results too.

The morning came and I got ready and then quietly took Clark out of his bed and straight into the car. He asked where are we going and I told him that we are going to the hospital so the doctors can look at your head. He didn't like that at all.   He repeated over and over of how he didn't want to let the doctor look at his head. The MRI lab was in the basement of the hospital. There was a fish tank that kept Clark occupied while I did paper work. A nurse took us back to a room to check his vitals and explained what was going to happen. I then meet the anesthesiologist. They both were super nice and I knew Clark would be in good hands. Without a prompt or anything the doctor took Clark's hand and said lets go take pictures of your head. Clark didn't even give me a hug or say goodbye, he willingly took the doctor's hand and skipped down the hall. I wasn't allowed to go any further down the hall. I immediately starting crying, because I knew this was just the start of many many tests Clark will have to go through because of NF. About two hours later the procedure was done and Clark was in a recovery room. I was able to go in the room but not touch him yet until he woke up. Seeing him at first scared me because he looked like he was in a coma. He was hooked up to a breathing machine. When he woke up he was groggy and unstable on his feet. The nurse gave him a glass of juice with a straw and drank it up within seconds. She was kind enough to push Clark in a wheelchair to the main hospital doors while I carried the belongings. The nurse told me how well Clark did and they have never seen a child so well behave and easy going especially during the separation part.

Dr. Holland called me back later that day to tell me the results of the test. I actually missed the call but he left a message on my phone which is nice so I can go back and listen to it over and over. The results came out normal but they found one slight spot on his right optic nerve. So they will check on it again in a year. I am so grateful that its nothing too serious. Clark is such a happy boy! He loves life and loves to laugh. I think he has this positive happy personality to help cope with what he has and what is to come. I love this little boy!

 This is a typical shot of Clark.  Thomas the Train shirt and Thomas the train in his hand.  He takes that train everywhere;when he sleeps, eats, reads, watches TV and even the bathroom.

8 comments:

Meredith Williams said...

You definitely know how to put a mom in tears....I'm so sorry viv!! That must have been so hard but I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. He really is such a happy and well mannered little boy!

Austin and Julia said...

I love that boy! I'm glad it wasn't too bad. Sounds like it's always worse for the mom than the child. Sorry-you're amazing! Can't wait to see you all soon! love ya

Amanda said...

I'm so glad it went well and results the results were good! You are such a strong mom!

Dallin and Janelle Lewis said...

Glad everything went okay. Much love from Indiana.

Unknown said...

YAY. This is such great news. I can't even imagine how scary that would be (for you and him). heck, i'm an adult and i would be extremely scared! The Lord loves you! Yay for answered prayers. Clark makes everyone happy...he is the best!

and you are too! Way to be a brave mom!

Cavan, Sarah, KaeLynn said...

What a scary thing to go through! I am so glad he is okay!

Hi Lowe! said...

Wow Viv. You've been through a lot. Clark and you are so brave! It is hard to see little ones in the hospital...or anyone!

Alice-Anne said...

You are such a good mom, Viv. Clark is so lucky to have you. Glad the whole experience went well and nothing too seriously for now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...